Friday 28 August 2009

HOME FROM HOME

Just for the eccentricity of the thing, here I am in Greece, home of the arts, and I'm still blogging about art in Italy...

Among the most tantalizing exhibits at the 53rd Venice Biennale were the Danish and Nordic Pavilions, jointly curated by Michael Elmgreen and Ingar Dragset who created The Collectors: a seamless, witty, intriguing and occasionally disturbing site-specific installation linking two adjacent buildings and representing the collaborative endeavour of more than a dozen artists working together to construct something that is less of an art exhibit and more an 'happening'.

This was, without doubt, my favourite section in the Biennale and (if I knew anything about art, which, of course, I don't!) I'd say it was the most ingenious, diverting and rewarding way of presenting contemporary art maybe because, like classic art, it tells a story. That story may be rather bizarre - even obscure - but it is, if nothing else, hauntingly memorable.

In this and my next posting, I'll give you a glimpse into what I liked about The Collectors...

The premise - more of a conceit, actually - is that the Danish Pavilion is up for sale (understandably, perhaps, in the current economic times) and Vigilante Exclusive Real Estate are offering potential buyers a chance to see around a highly individual and exclusive property.

As quickly becomes clear, the previous occupants haven't yet removed all their belongings and some of the remaining traces of their life there are weird to say the least...

Kitchen disaster

Farewell

See-thru wardrobe
There are also, it has to be said, some curious features that may require a little selling...

Cracked!

Broken stairs

Axe-exit
At the end of your visit, you are invited to view another potential property, just over the way...

However, as you will discover in my next post, things there are also somewhat out of the ordinary...

Muder or suicide?

Images: Brian Sibley and David Weeks © 2009 unloaded by flickr.

2 comments:

SharonM said...

It's all Greek to me!
Talking of which, I do hope that you are taking good care to make sure that Buttons doesn't get sunburnt.

Brian Sibley said...

He uses a high-concentrate, carrot-based, protection cream.