Tuesday 22 December 2009

DESTINAZIONE VENEZIA

Once more and probably for the last time (at least for a while) we fly to our beloved Venice for the festive season...

Ventian Vignette

Poet and critic Arthur Symons once said: "Yes, it is difficult to believe in Venice, most of all when one is in Venice." And that is so very true.

Symons also wrote in his poem, 'Alle Zattere'...

Only to live, only to be
In Venice, is enough for me...

Here my ambition dies; I ask
No more than some half-idle task,
To be done idly, and to fill
Some gaps of leisure when I will.
I care not if the world forget
that it was ever in my debt;
I care not where its prizes fall;
I long for nothing, having all...

Life dreams itself: the world goes on,
Oblivious in oblivion;
Life dreams itself: content to keep
Happy immortality, in sleep.



From the dream city of Venezia, we wish you whatever happy dreams you wish yourself...


UPDATE: Well, we made it - against what looked like being overwhelming odds! Over three hours driving through heavy snow to the airport last night only to find all departures suspended.

This morning: up at 5:00 with little expectation of flying - especially when most other European flights were being cancelled while we watched. Amazingly, we got away an hour after our scheduled departure time and arrived around 14:30 to rain and the remnants of very heavy snow - a great rarity in Venice.

All safe and sound with only one minor (hopefully) disaster: getting off the bus at Gatwick South Terminal, I managed to twist my knee quite badly so am hobbling rather more than usual, but hoping a night's rest will help it. David is out shopping for supper and I must get on with the unpacking! More anon...

Images: Brian Sibley © 2009

4 comments:

scb said...

Have a very happy Christmas in Venice, Brian & David! May all your wishes come true!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a lovely Christmas. I've been to Venice a few times and love it.

Boll Weavil said...

Glad you got away - your departure seems similar to my return. Coming in from Tenerife, we found all flights delayed except ours and one to Oslo ! Feliz Navidad to everyone - the Spanish are so good at doing Christmas !

Good Dog said...

Looks like you got out just in time.

Hope the knee gets better and you have a very Happy Christmas in Venice.