Sunday 25 July 2010

HOLIDAY SNAPS

When I arrived in Emporios at the beginning of our holiday, I took off my watch and pulled out the winder - leaving Snoopy having to hold out his arms at 2:46 pm for the next two weeks!

Snoopy on Greek Time
There were two reasons for doing this: firstly because I don't want to be constantly reminded that time is passing - especially in a place where time pretty much stands still - and because I actually enjoy telling the time (when I need to know) without mechanical aid. You'd be surprised how adept one can become at this: and when I am checked by others, I am invariable little more than 10 or 15 fast or slow and quite often spot on.

And, yes, so little do I do when on holiday, I actually took a photo of Snoopy not keeping time!

To be honest, I'm no longer sure sure why I take a camera when I go on holiday to Kalymnos since - over the course of the past nine years - I have photographed pretty much everything there is to photograph. But then that has, in itself, become one of my traditional holiday activities.

For example, this year, I, once again, photographed George playing his guitar...

George
...and, as before, I dutifully snapped my regular breakfast of fresh fruit, yoghurt and Kalymnian honey...

Breakfast
...managed, yet again, to catch David early morning skinny-dipping...

Skinny-dipping
...and, for the umpteenth time, photographed the little red row boat at the end of the bay...

Little Red Boat 2010
...knowing, even as I did so, that I will never take one better than the first one I ever took!

Still, we all need the occasional challenge - even on holiday and however modest!

9 comments:

SharonM said...

I think your regular Blog followers would have been quite distressed if you hadn't managed to take any new pics for us.

You wear a Snoopy watch - how sweet!

Lovely pics as ever, but what I'm sure I won't be the only one to want to know, is did David do his Greek dancing again this summer?

Brian Sibley said...

Sadly not. It is, I think, an event only witnessed every two or three years. Were it more frequent, of course, it would possibly be seen as a commonplace happening and, therefore, lose its power to thrill and astonish!

Boll Weavil said...

It's funny but I always take pictures of things I've photographed before as well ! I think its for the same reason that I always go in a charity shop where I once got a really good bargain. Its partially a reminder of your earlier success but also there's just a hope there might one day be something even better !

Roger O B... said...

Looks like George has got another guitar. (I admit to buying him a mug that said "No man can have too many guitars").
Roger O. B...

SNISHIO: Me when I forget to take my antihistamine in the Summer

Brian Sibley said...

Boll Weavil - Your analysis is, I reckon, spot on! Maybe there's also need to remind ourselves - in a changing world - of those things that don't really change.

Roger - With other men it would be cars - with George, it's guitars!

Andy in Greece said...

Well Brian, Having read your last reply to Roger about collecting cars or guitars it struck me that you have never taken a photograph of George's car. I cannot understand why this is so; it would make an interesting subject matter and I feel that your viewers would appreciate a snap or two of the said Ferrarri. Are you sure you don't have it somewhere in the background of any of your other pictures?

Brian Sibley said...

The 'Ferrari' may indeed feature in one of my archive shots - I must have a look. It is, after all, the Greecian version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's "fine four fendered friend".

Roger O B... said...

Ah, yes, the car: I refer to it as the loser in a demolition derby!
BEDNESS: My own. cf "Tain't nobody's bedness what I do" (Thomas "Fats" Waller & Andy Razaf).

Roger O B...

Brian Sibley said...

Well, yes, but remarkably it still gets folk from A to B - or E(mporios) to P(othia) - and it delivered us to the Ferry in record time, enabling us to avoid a three hour wait in the sweltering port that would have been the case if we had gone by bus, so I say, "God bless her and all who ride in her!"