Monday 13 September 2010

A DUO OF DIVAS

Tonight: the second programme in my BBC Radio 2 documentary series, The Musical, is broadcast at 10:00 pm. Presented by Daniel Evans (Merrily We Roll Along and Sunday in the Park with George), the episode is entitled 'Drawn from Life' and looks at musicals based on the lives of real people.

The programme features a two of musical theatre's greatest divas: Patti Lupone who talks about following the great Ethel Merman into the role of Mama Rose, mother of burlesque stripper, Gypsy Rose Lee and Elaine Paige who discusses the challenges of portraying Argentinian political leader, Eva Peron. There are also contributions by Stephen Sondheim who, with Jule Styne, wrote Gypsy, and Tim Rice who wrote the lyrics to Andrew Lloyd Webber's music for Evita.

And to whet your appetite, here are the two great show-stopping numbers from those shows...






5 comments:

scb said...

Wish I didn't have to wait until tomorrow to listen -- but I am extremely grateful to be able to listen at all! Thank goodness for BBC iPlayer!

scb said...

I had to go out, or could have listened to it live... but now, to quote the lolcats who seem to be everywhere these days, "I has a sad". BBC2 states that episode 2 is not available for replay on the iPlayer.

I indeed has a sad. My Irish friend said it was excellent.

Brian Sibley said...

Be not sad, dear SCB, I think you tried to hear it before it was posted on iPlayer.

It's there now (and will remain there until next Monday) and here is the link! :)

scb said...

Thank you, Brian! When I looked before, it said that it would not be posted due to rights restrictions. If that's what they say when it's just not up yet, they could do with a bit of a word change! ;-)

Thanks again! I'm happy now. *goes off singing*

SharonM said...

Another great programme - and a great choice of music running through it.